ALS of Nevada Free Monthly Multi-disciplinary Clinics
ALS of Nevada understands that taking your loved one to see the doctor or visit any medical facility is more of a challenge for those with ALS and their caregivers. For 6 years, ALS of Nevada has held monthly clinics in Las Vegas. ALS of Nevada also holds a monthly clinic in Reno.
Clinics are held in Reno and Las Vegas with a neurologist, respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, speech language pathologist, dietitian, social worker, and a representative from ALS of Nevada at the clinic. All Nevada patients are eligible to attend and are scheduled every 3-6 months depending on their rate of progression.
ALS Treatment Options
Currently there is no cure for ALS, yet there are several treatment options to make people diagnosed with ALS more comfortable. Treatment options include:
- Medications to relieve painful muscle cramps, excessive salivation and other symptoms.
- Physical therapy to maintain mobility and ease the discomfort of muscle stiffness, cramps and fluid retention.
- Nutritional counseling to promote good nutrition and recommend other dietary options when swallowing becomes difficult.
- Speech therapy and communication training to maintain as many verbal communication skills as possible. Commination training also includes non-verbal techniques.
- Assistivedevices such as splints, corrective braces, grab bars, reach devices, etc. To help with daily activities such as dressing, eating, toileting and bathing.
- Special equipment such as wheelchairs, electric beds or mattresses and boards to maximize functional independence.
ALS Patient Equipment Loaned for Free
- All equipment is loaned free to any ALS patient for as long as needed.
- Clinics are free to those who are under-insured or non-insured.
- For patients who currently have insurance – their insurance is billed for an office visit.
Now, instead of numerous trips to numerous different places, Nevada’s ALS patients can see all the disciplines necessary for the treatment at one time in one location.
For more information on the ALS-specific-Clinic please telephone 702-777-0500
2010 ALS of Nevada Clinic services paid for by a grant through Wal-Mart State Giving Program